Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Fragrant Lamb Stew

Sunday afternoons are perfect for playing Mah Jong and drinking wine. For the record, the wine should be red and not too complicated. Fruit and spice are helpful, serious tannins are not. I missed some important tiles a few weeks back whilst I decided whether the tannins on an '02 claret would outlast the fruit. Cheap old vine Spanish Garnacha is about perfect.

Unfortunately, just as it takes two to tango, it takes four to go in search of Dragonflies and Windy Chows, and our regular partners are currently devouring tagines in Fez. So I decided to copy them. If nothing else, it would be an excuse to bump and grind some spices. The closest to r and b that I get. The result was a lamb stew fragrant with cumin and coriander, warmed by a slick of harissa and sweetened with some dried apricots which dissolved into a rich gravy. Black olives providing a darker bass note. Bland, fluffy couscous was all that was needed on the side.

And the leftovers cheered me up at my desk today. Spices and stewed meat seemed right for a clear, sunny day with a bite of winter in the wind. Autumnal food.

No comments: