Saturday, March 8, 2008

Moules Mariniere

I like authenticity. Some dishes should be scared. For lunch I decided to cook Moules Mariniere, and reached for the French cooking bible, Larousse, to see what its - and therefore the definitive - rules are.

I'm in luck, the book's recipe largely agrees with my own thoughts: no cream but lots of butter, shallots to start, parsley to finish and an all important reduction of the sauce after you have lifted the open mussels out.

We disagreed on one thing, though. Garlic. Larousse says no. I say yes. Definitely yes. I reach for a couple of juicy cloves and bash them on the board.

As I said, I still like authenticity, just not as much as I like garlic.

2 comments:

kippers said...

The moules should definitely be scared. They won't get out of the pan alive when they sound that good.

kipperino said...

mmmm! they do sound good.

i would not have departed from the classic....until that revisionist broth mr kipperling and i made.

by the way kippers, how were the kippers received by your relatives?

gareth, have you ever eaten at simpsons on the strand?