Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Best Fish and Chips in London. Apparently.


Marylebone's Golden Hind chippie has a lot going for it: innumerous recommendations on the interweb as The Best Fish And Chips In London, it's in Marylebone and is BYO. There are few better places to drink fine wine than a chippie.

I tried to go two years ago but a now-ex-girlfriend of a visiting friend went AWOL and rather than a side order of mushy peas we were ordered off on a search of Tottenham Court Road. We found her back in Tooting, her homing pigeon having kicked in, and ended up eating curry, as you do in these parts.

Last night I tried to go again only to be foiled by a combination of the Central Line, torrential rain, my mobile's battery and another lost friend. I even got as far as peering in the window this time but Tim wasn't there and by this time I was 35 minutes late, soaked to the skin and unable to phone anyone. The bottle of Hunter Valley Semillon remained unopened and the fish unfried. I trudged damply towards the tube back to Tooting. And ate curry.

No comments: