Thursday, December 27, 2007

Closure

Perhaps (only perhaps, mind you) this is the beginning of the end of the two-month Burgundy obsession. The symptoms are waning. I can just about appreciate other wines without comparing them to the greats of the Cote d'Or and have acknowledged that others cheeses than Epoisses are worth eating too. Especially given the frankly rude and almost frightening level of ripeness that the Epoisses in the kitchen has reached.

In search of closure, I (I should say 'we' as Jen did half the work but this is My Blog and My Obsession) made a Jambon Persille, the jelly and ham terrine that provided roughly 50% of my daily calorific needs in Burgundy (if only 20% of my actual calorific intake). It was deeply satisfying to make and much easier than it looked. As many so called complicated 'resaturant dishes' are when you have a go yourself. I urge you to try.

The recipe can be found on a bookshelf near you in Simon Hopkinson's unimpeachable Roast Chicken and Other Stories 2 (Second Helpings, it might be called). And if you don't own it click on to Amazon now, buy the book and make it for yourself. There are few better vehicles for humble white Burgundy and Dijon mustard.

No comments: